Tuition Reciprocity Agreements

corner spacer corner spacer corner spacer corner spacer

Tuition Reciprocity Agreements

Students who would like to study a program not offered by their state universities and colleges often need to turn to a neighboring state, and unfortunately end up paying non-resident tuition rates. However, there are several regional groups whose members cooperate to offer lower tuition rates to their member states. Additionally, quite a few states have reciprocal tuition agreements with neighboring states.

The New England Board of Higher Education (NEBHE) coordinates the Regional Student Program. All community colleges, colleges and universities in the New England states (Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Connecticut) take part in the program. If a course of study is not offered in any schools in your home state, the student may opt to take it in another New England state and receive a lowered tuition rate. These rates are set by the NEBHE, though the individual states can decide to charge a lower tuition.

The Academic Common Market (ACM) is offered through the Southern Regional Education Board (SREB) and allows students to enroll in certain fields of study in participating states while enjoying in-state tuition rates. Members are Alabama, Arkansas, Delaware, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Mississippi, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia and West Virginia. There is also a graduate level program in which Florida, North Carolina and Texas participate.

Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oregon, South Dakota, Utah, Washington and Wyoming all belong to the Western Interstate Commission for Higher Education (WICHE). WICHE runs the Professional Student Exchange Program (PSEP), which gives qualified students preference in admissions, as well as a lower tuition rate. The reciprocal tuition agreement is only available for certain courses of study and not all courses are available to all states. Currently, dentistry, medicine, occupational therapy, optometry, osteopathic medicine, pharmacy, physical therapy, physician assistant, podiatry and veterinary medicine are part of the PSEP program.

The Midwestern Higher Education Compact (MHEC) runs the Midwest Student Exchange Program Overview (MSEP). Twelve states belong to MHEC (Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota and Wisconsin), but only eight currently take part in MSEP (South Dakota, Iowa and Ohio do not). Public institutions taking part in the MSEP tuition reciprocity program will charge no more than 150% of in-state tuition and private schools will offer a 10% discount to their usual tuition.

In addition to the above named reciprocal tuition agreements, some individual states have also started programs with their neighbors. An example is Minnesota, which is a member of the MHEC group, but also has reciprocal tuition agreements with Wisconsin, North Dakota, and South Dakota and the Canadian province of Manitoba, and also a limited agreement with Iowa Lakes Community College in Iowa. Check with your state's department of higher education to find any available tuition reduction plans.

Student Loans Home

Site Map

10 Ways to Pay for College

Latest Student Loan News

Student Loan Consolidation

529 College Savings Plans

Grants & Loans by State:

Scholarships by State:

National Scholarships:

corner spacer corner spacer corner spacer corner spacer

CourseSmart Shop Now

Investing in Gold Coins